Wednesday, 11 February 2009
Guest Post by Danielle. Honest scrap award.
I feel honoured to present, after my wee challenge, Danielle's (or Dani189's) 10 (or thereabouts) honest facts about her lovely self.
1. When my grandfather was in the Navy he was the sole survivor of a plane crash. The ring he was wearing split in half on impact. I had a ring made for myself out of one of the halves, and I never take it off.
2. Right now, being a therapist is a huge exercise in "do as I say, not as I do." I spend a large part of every day talking about accepting uncertainty, cultivating patience, and practising self care- three things that I am very bad at these days.
3. I have no idea why I don't want to start a blog, but I am beginning to think that it's ill-mannered of me not to have one.
4. I am very shy and self conscious except when I dance. I have taken Bollywood, belly dancing, samba, salsa, and merengue lessons, and even had a brief and disastrous foray into hip-hop. Apparently my hips can do things that the rest of me cannot.
5. Although I was born and raised in the US, there are huge parts of US culture that I simply don't understand. I have never seen an entire (American) football game or an episode of reality TV, I don't believe in the "life on demand" culture that we have around here, and I am very wary of capitalism.
6. I don't know how to ride a bike.
7. I am often surprised at how hard I can laugh, how angry I can get, and how deeply I can love- often one right after the other.
8. Although I am afraid of free fall and get motion sickness, I have climbed pyramids in Guatemala, ridden an elephant in Thailand, and hiked to the top of an active volcano in Greece. I am perfectly all right with fear as long as it doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do.
9. I eat like a very stubborn, very idiosyncratic 6 year-old. Given the option, I would live exclusively on oatmeal, panang curry with tofu, and cinammon-infused chocolate.
10. I can recite all of the movie "Dirty Dancing" by heart. I'm not proud of this. No, wait- actually, I kind of am.
Here's a very genuine one that I forgot to mention.
I believe very firmly in the Jewish principle of "tikkun olam", which means "repair of the world." Though it's often a losing battle, I do believe that since we all share the planet, we all owe it to each other to try to make it a more just, more compassionate, and more liveable place.
I believe this so much, in fact, that I am willing to sacrifice the "Dirty Dancing" reference. or maybe the thing about the oatmeal.
Thank you Danielle! Now to carry on nagging about that blog...
Labels: Guest post