Sunday 1 March 2009

Zondas and heroes and hips, oh my.

We drove the other way along the coast today to one place filled with tourists and then on to another that wasn't.

At the first, Exmouth, a local centre for the kite boarding fraternity (i.e. veeeery windy!), we visited a mini-flea market. I bought a book written by Tony Hart, a childhood hero of mine who made art exciting and accessible for children with his many TV programmes from 1967 to 1994. The book shows how children develop as artists from about 1 year to 7 years and several projects Tony Hart took to schools around Britain. One day I hope to use the book as inspiration for my forays into art with our little one to be... one day. Ray bought some old toy cars, memories of his own childhood.

The only photos we took of Exmouth were of the car that we followed into town. A Pagani Zonda, which was about £700 000 new and only half that second hand. Yes, there are people with that sort of money! When I think of that sort of money, I think of a house, a safe car (with a top-of-the range car seat of course), a few nice holidays and money in the bank for a rainy day.
It looks like this when you're not following it and it's in it's natural element i.e. a race track.

I'm not much of a car person but this was quite quite impressive. Much more impressive than a town full of people.

A cup of tea and a sandwich later we drove on a little further to Budleigh Salterton, a town that moves at a much more sedate place. It was quiet. The few people there were strolling along the pebbled beach.

The place was serene.

Calm and calming.

Quiet,And colourful.

Stepping into the surreal for a moment, we found this gentleman throwing some interesting shapes for a photographer.
Time to go.

With one more photo for the family album. Oh my, just look at those child bearing hips. Those hips really need the chance to prove that they were worth the trouble of being the big girl of the gang. Yes indeed they do.

Not all photographs work out the way you want them to... bit like life really.



10 comments:

  1. Even the name Budleigh Salterton makes me smile! Thanks for sharing your latest adventure with us- looks like a perfect Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos! What kind of camera do you use? You take great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love posts with photos, and imagining your day!
    Thanks for sharing Barb :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pebble beach...... ummmmm.....

    HEAVEN!

    Barbara Thank you for sharing your life with us. Your a bright spark in all our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, yes! It's an odd and typically whimsical British place name.

    Alisha, thank you! It's a Panasonic fz18, lovely long zoom, nothing too fancy, but fancy enough for my little artistic endeavours!

    Bir, thank you, I'm glad you liked them.

    Carly, without this place and you lovely people I'm not sure how I would be coping.

    xxx

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi barbara- i can't believe i have not been to your blog ever, since we do run in the same circles. i guess i just never stumbled upon it in all of this, which i find to be completely crazy. if i haven't ever said it before, i truly am sorry for your loss of your beautiful george. silas died a month before george so we are on the same timeline with this awful world we've been thrown into.
    i'm glad to have finally found you, your blog is beautiful - love the pix in your latest post. they are gorgeous.
    sending you much love.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing pictures and the towns are just lovely, the beaches are so beautiful. Thank you for taking me along w/you and Ray.
    That is one seriously nice ride, I love a nice car, saw a Lamgorghini yesterday and a Ferrari last week. I would love to see a Zonda on the road, have only seen it at the Peterman Auto Museum in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful. I love these pictures. Thank you for sharing them. Also, I now want to learn more about Tony Hart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lani, hello! It's lovely to meet you and I'm so so sorry for the loss of Silas.

    Sometimes I want to stamp my feet and dig out every swear word ever known when I hear about a lost baby.

    Martha, I knew someone would appreciate the car! I wouldn't like to own it but I'd love a ride in it!

    Natalie, thank you. I forgot to mention that Tony Hart died not so long ago after a long life dedicated to art and children. So sad but what a legacy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Photobucket